Re: [Fwd: Re: Iris Books]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Iris Books]
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:35:03 -0600 (MDT)

<< Griff Crump, who survived six years of Latin, and hated every minute of
 it, because it was taught as a dead language!  >>

<<But in either case, since we are in
the realm of never-never land, I think you could not go wrong with "Is>>

Griff, you are a wonder.  Thank you so much for your explanation which makes
wonderfully good sense, and certainly corresponds with my rapidly failing
knowledge of Latin, which was acquired in high school many years ago.  I am
fearful of using "Is" however, because it is not in standard usage in
taxonomic literature.

I, too, "hated" my Latin classes, but am ever thankful that I worked hard to
learn it.  It has proved useful in many endeavors of life, and especially in
my horticultural interests. And in the furture, I know where to turn with
Latin questions, friend Griff.

Clarence Mahan in Virginia, who believes that rather than more money, what is
needed in American schools is a return to mandatory Latin, the parsing of
sentences and book reports on the works of Dickens.