Re: SPEC: douglasiana

The forest here is alive with the native PCI's. It is incredible how
beautiful the species iris is.The colors range from white to a dark violet
with a pale yellow thrown in. I love how etherial (sp) the little wild ones
are. Everywhere I walk I see huge clumps of different colored iris. I had
wanted to put a compost pile back behind some huckleberry bushes and
couldn't because of of how many and how big the iris clumps were. A few
years ago when I was putting in the garden I had moved most of the wild
clumps out of the center of the garden to the edges so I would have room to
garden and now they are everywhere. They are on the edges but still keep
coming back to the rows between the cultivated beds. I grow hybridized
PCI's also and worry about contaminating the wild stock, at least in my
immediate vicinity. I really can't describe how many wild clumps there are
here. I am not talking one or 100 but thousands. The 2000acre parcel next
door was logged a few years ago and the entire sloop down to the creek
maybe 2 acres, maybe 5 acres is all a sea of douglasiana. They are a green
nonblooming plant under the trees and then when the tree falls or dies and
lets in the sun they bloom like crazy until the light level gets to low
Just wanted to share

Karin Hinsen
Central Coast of California
Mixed redwood, madrone and tanoak forest
Mild summers, Mild, wet winters
USDA Zone 8  (Zone15-16 Sunset zone)