Re: HIST /CAT- Action Front Source-Guess Who

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HIST /CAT- Action Front Source-Guess Who
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:47:29 -0600 (MDT)

Graham asked about a bearded iris named ACTION FRONT:

<< 1. Does anyone know of a US nursery offering this variety? Names and
 addresses please (I need to know for a US resident friend).
 2. Action Front is listed in the 1949 Checklist as not introduced.
 is a listing for "Action Frost" as introduced by National Iris Gardens of
 Oregon in 1943, indicating that the plant in question is in fact Action
 Front. >>

How very odd to have this question today! My May issue of GARDENS ILLUSTRATED
came yesterday and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a picture of
ACTION FRONT on page 42. Must say it looks like an older iris in the picture
and I wondered if it was mislabeled. The name seemed to have a brisk
contemporary tone as well. How curious!

Kindly tell your American Friend that Mary's Garden in Hico, Texas lists this
iris in their 1996 catalog--with a date of 1942-- at four dollars. Described
as a copper red self. The new catalog is not yet out. As I have said on
numerous occasions, I have not dealt with this commercial source before so
cannot vouch for them, but they have an interesting catalog with some rarer
older irises. If anyone requires the address please e-mail me privately.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA battening down the hatches for the cold snap
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com