Re: TB-Treating Mosaic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB-Treating Mosaic
  • From: Nancy Jentzsch <jentzsch@csn.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:10:27 -0600 (MDT)

>Nancy Jentszch--could we have some more details?  What are the symptoms
>exhibited by your irises?  How long have they been growing in their
>particular beds?  How long have these beds been used for irises
>Are you growing mostly older varieties?  Most recent TB varieties are
>strongly resistant to mosaic and though they may carry the virus, show no

These are all older, mostly Dykes Medal winners. The bed was redug last
year. All the clumps were divided, soaked in fungicide mixture, dried and
replanted. These beds have been used exclusively for irises for
approximately 10 years. The leaves on all the affected plants are way too
light a green, not terribly streaked. I doubt a feeding problem because the
10-5-5 mixture was both dug into the soil when the bed was redone and was
applied as a top dressing. The plants last year were badly infested with
aphids. I sprayed for that, but not before some of the plants were badly
damaged (tops, not rhizomes). This spring when I checked the tulips on the
edge of the bed were already swarming with aphids. I have sprayed with
Malathion and with Isotox.

Nancy Jentzsch
District Technology Resource Teacher
Pueblo School District No. 60