OT: Book comment Re: [Fwd: Re: Iris Books]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Book comment Re: [Fwd: Re: Iris Books]
  • From: "Scott \"Doc\" Holloway" <sh64900@navix.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:58:45 -0600 (MDT)

CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> << Griff Crump, who survived six years of Latin, and hated every minute of
>  it, because it was taught as a dead language!  >>
>
> <<But in either case, since we are in
> the realm of never-never land, I think you could not go wrong with "Is>>
>
> Griff, you are a wonder.  Thank you so much for your explanation which makes
> wonderfully good sense, and certainly corresponds with my rapidly failing
> knowledge of Latin, which was acquired in high school many years ago.  I am
> fearful of using "Is" however, because it is not in standard usage in
> taxonomic literature.
>
> I, too, "hated" my Latin classes, but am ever thankful that I worked hard to
> learn it.  It has proved useful in many endeavors of life, and especially in
> my horticultural interests. And in the furture, I know where to turn with
> Latin questions, friend Griff.
>
> Clarence Mahan in Virginia, who believes that rather than more money, what is
> needed in American schools is a return to mandatory Latin, the parsing of
> sentences and book reports on the works of Dickens.

A rare but all too true observation.  My daughter is going to private
school and is learning latin.  It has opened a whole new view of
language for her; too bad public ed. abandoned it.  I hope to entice her
with some "taxonomic" work on Iris and other plants this summer.

-doc
Keeping my fingers crossed in this record cold for April in Nebraska!