RE: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4
  • From: "Barbara Mann" <IrisMaven@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:07:34 -0600 (MDT)

Scott, this time of year, most people who fertilize iris do it with a low
nitrogen, high phosphorus form of fertilizer (many swear by super phosphate or
triple phosphate).  Don't add much in the way of nitrogen as that will cause
heavy leaf growth at the expense of the blooms.  The only thing I put on my
iris before bloom is a light application of sifted compost (and actually, not
on them, but near them), and that seems to perk them up without making them
overgrow.

Barb, in Santa Fe, NM
IrisMaven@msn.com