CULT: Snuggies

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Snuggies
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 06:03:08 -0600 (MDT)

Well, the freeze from the northwest rolled over us last night, putting
temperatures into the upper 20s. The prospect was worrisome enough to
make me bring the seedlings inside for the night. I wouldn't have been
as concerned for the several bloomstalks that are up a foot or more,
except for the accompanying forecast of a stiff wind. Most of these are
rebloomers of which I don't want to lose any bloom, if possible. So, I
joined the ranks of those who risk confirming their neighbors'
suspicions and, sacrificing a few pairs of old sweatsocks, made "caps"
and "mufflers" for the buds to wear overnight. I have no idea whether
this will provide any real protection from either freeze or wind chill,
but there's nothing to be lost from trying. I left some prolific
bloomers uncovered as a control group. We'll see how they all look after
a while.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac, near Mount Vernon, VA
jgcrump@erols.com