CULT: the freeze

No real official data yet, but the thermometer at 5:30 this morning stood
at just 32F.  No evident damage to azalea flowers, but leaves on Japanese
maples were limp and wilted (same for quinces).  There was a skim of ice on
the dog's water bucket.  Looks like we dodged the bullet!  But our place is
in a "warm pocket," on a ridge where cold air drains away, then follows a
gully down to the creek.  We're usually 5-8 degrees warmer than the
vineyard.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College