CULT: INDIAN CHIEF, brrrrrr, pale foliage, iris health report

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: INDIAN CHIEF, brrrrrr, pale foliage, iris health report
  • From: LMann76543@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:13:30 -0600 (MDT)

Phyllis Soine wrote:
<I wonder if Linda Mann has tried to grow INDIAN CHIEF!  I think it would
defeat the ROT QUEEN!>

Thanks for thinking of me Phyllis.  21o F this morning.  80o sometime not too
long ago.  Our average last frost date is next week (what a joke).  Something
tells me my irises are not very happy and are planning their rot parties next
month.  I am planning a lot of donations to our summer rhizome sale, so there
will be room to torture some new additions.  Never have tried your Indian

In my garden, pale foliage means previous cold injury to rapidly growing
foliage, with some affected more than others.  If the bed has some that are
healthy blue green growing among other somewhat bleached and/or slightly
corrugated looking leaves, it might be cold injury.  I would expect nutrient
deficiency to affect them all about the same?

Walter Moores - so far your babies still have relatively healthy looking
foliage (minor leaf spot, but still good color) and have had better sense
than to send up buds.

Lloyd Zurbrigg - same for most of your children.  I keep being drawn to see
which super healthy plant that is out in one of the cultivated rows (HARVEST

Even some of my I. pallida (actually, after recent posts from Clarence, I
guess it's probably I. pallida dalmatica) crosses look pretty bad.  At least
one of my own ugly children (dalmatica X MULBERRY ROSE?) is out there sending
up buds looking healthy as a horse.

mad at my irises but sure enjoying everything else - another gorgeous, if
chilly day