JI - Rose Queen - Correction

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: JI - Rose Queen - Correction
  • From: Ensata@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:24:06 -0600 (MDT)

John Coble at Ensata.

I want to apologize and make a correction to my statement about there being
TWO Rose Queens a couple days ago (when AOL wouldn't let me send the message
-- someone was trying to tell me something!).  Well, Clarence did.  Made me

I remember seeing a photo of I. laevigata Rose Queen in THE book IRIS
LAEVIGATA by Akira Horinaka -- the Bible to date on laevigata.  Well, my mind
is going or someone took that page out of the book!!  I found no torn pages,
so guess my mind is gone, folks.  My previous letter turns out to be a case
of inserting keyboard in mouth before checking hard drive!   Horinaka makes
NO mention of Rose Queen in either of his chapters on species or cultivars.
  So, there goes my source for making the statement that there were two iris
with the name Rose Queen.

I did look at the photo (p. 232) in Kohlein and agree with Clarence that the
photo is I. ensata Rose Queen, not as Kohlein labels it as laevigata.  Also
note his statement about the photo of the white laevigata right below the
photo of Rose Queen:  "Because it (laevigata) crosses so easily with Iris
kaempferi [ensata].........."  !
Taint so folks.   It is NOT an easy cross.  And when you do get a cross, very
few seeds will germinate.    So, as I've always said, don't believe
everything you read, and becareful about what I say!   Think I've said
enough.  John Coble.