Re: self pollination

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: self pollination
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:57:48 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, john walker wrote:

> hey guys i have a question. by the way i am john walker region 8.
> what happens to irises that get self pollinated. i have many spent
> blooms that have huge swelling seeds pods....thanks for any info..
> john walker

	It's up to you, John, as to what you do.  The irises have done
their thing.  If the pod parent is a good named variety and I had plenty
of space, I would let the seeds mature, and plant them later.  If I didn't
think much of the pod parent, I would snap off the pod and trash it.  Some
of our Dykes' medalists have come from bee pods, but you know one parent.

	Walter Moores