Re: CULT: Frost report, SAD STORY SEQUEL, Re: Bloomstalks

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Frost report, SAD STORY SEQUEL, Re: Bloomstalks
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:01:25 -0600 (MDT)

wsoine@Gems.VCU.EDU wrote:
  I notice that
> foliage on quite a few plants may have some frost damage.  The have dark
> green spots the length of the foliage or the entire leaf has turned dark
> green.  This occurred primarily on foliage without bloomstalks.  I am
> curious how this will affect the plants.

Not to worry about your iris foliage.  They were frosted and in my
experience they turn a dark green but with the sun and the warmth of the
day you should see them recover shortly.  When you get low temps like
you did don't look at them in the morning when they look bad, wait until
the afternoon when you won't be able to tell that anything has happened.
This is good mental therapy.

As to stalks during a freeze I found that between 30F and 32F the open
flowers will be frosted and worthless the next day.  Buds showing color
will be tip damaged and buds in the spathes should be ok.  Between 28F
and 30F all buds will show some sign of damage and below 28F the stalks
can be killed.  Listen to the forcast and cut those stalks if the freeze
gets too bad.  Also, I tried putting cardbord boxes, wraping in cloth
and etc to no avail.  Below 28F we are in trouble.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8