FREEZE PROTECTION

Time to tell my story again (to a new generation of e-mail folks)

When I was first growing irises and involved with the Iris Society, every
bloom was MUCH anticipated and very precious (well, they still are, but I
don't lose sleep over it any more).

Anyway

My irises were all just about to bloom... and the show was coming... and the
weatherman was predicting a freeze!  I was in an absolute panic.  Sweet
Leonard was working a basketball game, so he wasn't around for this anxiety
attack.

Then I got a brainstorm... I would make protective coverings for the blooms
to get them through the night.  I grabbed all the newspaper I could find...
and began folding little soldier hats like we did in kindergarden.  It took
many hats, but I finally got them all protected and went to bed.

Leonard told me later that when he looked out the window in the morning, it
looked like a scene from "The Charge of the Light Brigade"

Oh... my blooms were just fine.  The neighbors, however, began avoiding me.