Re:SPEC: I. albertii and I. imbricata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re:SPEC: I. albertii and I. imbricata
  • From: Juri Pirogov <jukp@extranet.ru>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:37:15 -0600 (MDT)

Apr 04/11/97 04:55, CEMahan@aol.com NAPISAL iris-l@rt66.com:

> Is anyone on the list growing either or both of these two species?  If so,
> where did you obtain your plants and are you certain they are the real thing?

Michael Diev (Moscow) wrote this year in RCIS annual bulletin:
"Some plants I.albertii from near Alma-Ata (Kazakhstan) grow atmy garden since
1991 at raised bed. They bloom not every year. Don't have seeds. Stand falls
freezes -10oC without snow cover."

Last fall I visited Dr.Rodionenko garden in St-Petersburg. I was interested in
I.albertii which one form DR conciders rot resistant, but I.a. plants that
grows for a rather long time became too feeble. However there is a seedling
(Rodionenko #1100) unknown parentage, that DR conciders TB x albertii hybrid.
It is very vigorous, like rot resistant, has big rhisome with hairs like
median. It seems tetraploid because has very large and high leaves.
I planted one rhisome at my garden.

I. imbricata grow at Moscow State University Botanical Garden.

Juri Pirogov,
PO box 15, Moscow 119121, Russia
where near 32F, 4" snow cover, it snowing again...
spring stop :(