Re: [OT: wasFwd: Re: Iris Books]

> > The plural of "iris" as it relates to medicine is indeed "irides."
> > I had the pleasure of reading this in an autopsy report, which is indeed
> > a dead language.
> >

> Amy -- I am almost (but not quite) afraid to ask: What role did our
> favorite flowers play in this macabre scenario?

You were speculating on the plural of iris, a noun being of the third
declension? and the plural of iris, the coloured part of the eye, is
indeed irides.  I know this from an autopsy report, in which the colour
of the eyes (or more precisely, the irides) is always given for
identification purposes.

I was struck by the connection between an autopsy on a dead body and an
investigation of a dead language.

Iris:  many bloom stalks, including VANITY, which I knew was VANITY with
no tag -- mega buds from first year plant, and pink buds (no blooms
yet).  Second bloom I believe is CAJUN SPICES.  Will have more proper ID
as more things bloom and I can match my many maps to the blooms.

--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, USDA zone 8b, Sunset zone 30