IRC: Iris-L Chat

I thought maybe it was time to send this message again for the new folks
on the list.

I have set up an iris-l chat channel on a PRIVATE network that will not
be so difficult to get onto as Undernet. It works the same way as
Undernet so everything you know about that will still work. We are
Scheduled for every Friday 6:00 pm PDT (7:00 MDT, 8:00 CDT, 9:00 EDT,
Mid afternoon Sat for Sonya - I think) We will have this time slot every
Friday unless we decide to change it.

The service is run by Rod Venger in Colorado Springs at no charge to
anyone. He grows Orchids (about 50,000 a year - small time he says). He
has kindly registered us on his server.

If you don't know how to Chat, email me privately and I will help you
get set up. It is pretty easy.

Ok, there are just 2 teeeny, tiny little things that are different with
this set up.

First: Instead of using a name for the network he uses a number called
an IP address. It looks like:

All you do is put the number in the same place in your program that you
designate the server name e.g.:    instead of   us.undernet.org

And you must specify port number 6667.

It is as simple as that. Just log on the normal way.

Second, and slightly bigger problem is that the address number changes
daily. (Come on, no whining, it is free and much faster that undernet,
no net splits, and you will be able to get on when you want to!) It is
because he is on a dial up connection (at his end). So every Fri I will
post a message with the days IP address on it. It is also available from
his webpage at:

I will also be watching my email during any chat in case someone has a

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.