Re: CULT: Poast

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
> Nancy:  What's the common name of Poa annua?  Either I don't have a
> problem with it or I just don't know the scientific name.
> Arnold Koekkoek
> NW Iowa  Zone 4
> Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
> Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
> Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
> Sioux Center, IA 51250

Poa annua is simply annual bluegrass, as opposed to Poa pratensis which
is kentucky bluegrass, or Poa trivialis which is rough-stalked
bluegrass, or Poa gramineae which is just ordinary bluegrass. Annua
tends to thrive here in the Pacific Northwest, I guess because of our
fairly mild (most years) climate here in the Willamette(pronounced like
dammit)Valley. It does tend to die off as summer approaches, due to lack
of water, which it gets all winter long, but by then, the damage has
been done. It has already gone to seed and spread it's fateful crop for
the next season, as soon as the rain returns to assist germination. It
is truly devilish. Just can't seem to get a handle on it. Oh, well!! I
guess there are more tragic things in life to worry about, aren't there?

Nancy Silverberg,
Molalla, OR where the sun is shining, the weather is mild, and I still
see no colour on any of the irises. Sterling's LEARN is farthest along,
but will be a few days yet, at least. What am I doing inside at my
computer? Man can not live on weeding alone!! In for a lunch break.