Re: Intro and Bio

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Intro and Bio
  • From: art bern <art@gv.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:36:15 -0600 (MDT)

Sue O Elder wrote:
> Hello, I've been lurking for awhile and it's been helpful for a 'newbie'
> like me in Iris Societies; but now I have a question.
>  My name is Alysue and I live in North Central Mississippi, zone 7/8. I
> recently bought a home and inherited one long bed of irises. I have no idea
> what the names of these Irises are.  What is the best/or most efficient way
> of researching names and/or types of Irises that these might be.  I would
> appreciate your suggestions on this.  Thank You.

Hi Alysue,

You have a problem. If I were in your shoes I would contact the previous
owner to see if he (she) has any documentation on the bed of irises. If
not, see if any of your new neighbors have irises and if they are like
any of yours (once they bloom that is). Normally people give irises to
their neighbors and friends once they divide them.

The problem is so many irises look very similar to others and it is very
hard to match them up. Photographs are hard to match to the real thing
for their colors are sometimes off. A blue iris won't photograph blue,
they come out a shade of violet. So photographs are somewhat of a help
but not too much. The most ideal thing is to match up to a 'like' iris
but that too is hard to do sometimes. I have three different beds and
the same iris blooms at different times in each of the beds because the
different conditions, light, soil conditions, etc. So, you see you have
a problem. Hopefully the irises you inherited are unique enough that
you'll be able to identify them from catalogs, etc.

Not much help,
Art Bern     art@gv.net
Grass Valley, CA