Re: SPEC: I. albertii and I. imbricata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. albertii and I. imbricata
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 02:29:51 -0600 (MDT)

<< Michael Diev (Moscow) wrote this year in RCIS annual bulletin:
 "Some plants I.albertii from near Alma-Ata (Kazakhstan) grow atmy garden
since
 1991 at raised bed. They bloom not every year. Don't have seeds. Stand falls
 freezes -10oC without snow cover."

 Last fall I visited Dr.Rodionenko garden in St-Petersburg. I was interested
in
 I.albertii which one form DR conciders rot resistant, but I.a. plants that
 grows for a rather long time became too feeble. However there is a seedling
 (Rodionenko #1100) unknown parentage, that DR conciders TB x albertii
hybrid.
 It is very vigorous, like rot resistant, has big rhisome with hairs like
 median. It seems tetraploid because has very large and high leaves.
 I planted one rhisome at my garden.

 I. imbricata grow at Moscow State University Botanical Garden.

Thank you very much for sending this information on Ii. albertii and
imbricata, Juri.  At one time Dr. Rodionenko grew many clones of both of
these irises in St. Petersburg. It is very difficult to find "pure" forms of
these two irises in the U.S.  I am hoping to get some good clones of I.
imbriata when I visit England later this year---but I have not yet found a
source for I. albertii.

I grow an iris that is supposedly I. albertii, but as it has never bloomed
(and is difficult to keep growing) I do not know if it is a true
albertii---and I suspect it is not really that iris.  I recently wrote an
article for the Reblooming Iris Society and British Iris Society Year Book on
Iris albertii and am hoping to get some good forms.

Dykes wrote about a "yellow" form of I. albertii, but I have come to believe
that it must have been a hybrid. (Dykes grew it from seed)   Also, Rodioenko
and Kohlein wrote about a "blue" form of I. imbricata---but I think this too
is probably a hybrid, because the "blue" imbricata was apparently also grown
from seed collected at St. Petersburg.  Seeds gathered at botanic gardens are
notoriously spurious because there usually are many species of irises in such
collections blooming at the same times, and usually no controls are in place
to prevent pollution.  The information on the Iris albertii - TB hybrid is
very interesting.  If the plant is a tetraploid, it would be invaluable for
future hybridizing.  If a diploid, perhaps it could be elevated to
tetraploidy by the use of colchicine.  This would be something really worth
doing for the future of iris breeding.

Again, thank you for the information Juri.  Clarence Mahan in VA