Iris unguicularis and the Tender Evansia

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris unguicularis and the Tender Evansia
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 07:41:24 -0600 (MDT)

I often have people ask me where they can get cultivars of Iris unguicularis
(Iris stylosa) and the of the tender Evansias.  I just received Jay Hudsons
catalogue (The Iris Gallery, 33450 Little Valley Rd, Fort Bragg, CA 95437),
price $1.00.  Jay is listing quite a few iris species, including 3 clones of
Iris unguicularis and 5 of the tender evansias, including I. confusa.

Keep in mind that I. unguicularis is a warm climate iris and that the tender
evansias will not survive in winter except in the mildest of climates of the
U.S.  I suspect they might be fine in Orlando where my son lives.  So for
most of us the tender evansias must be brought inside and grown under lights
with good ventilation and humidity when autumn begins.  But for those who are
seeking them, The Iris Gallery is a good source.  Clarence Mahan in VA