  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Historic AUTUMN ORANGELITE
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:09:09 -0600 (MDT)

<< Last year I ordered AUTUMN ORNGELITE from the HIPS sale.  AO was
 introduced in 1962 by G. Percy Brown before the color orange was really
 perfected, except for Melba's  ORANGE PARADE, 1959.  I am doubting,
 though, the authenticity of what I got from the sale.  What I got was a
 clean, glowing yellow self.  There is no brown or any other muddy color in
 this creation that has a 1930's form to it.  I have been told that what I
 have is ZANTHA.
 	If anybody grows either AUTUMN ORANGELITE or ZANTHA, please give
 me your input. >>

I used to grow Zantha, one of the brightest yellows ever.  It is clean,
glowing, and tailored.  I've seen Autumn Orangelite, but can't remember what
it looks like; but you know what Doc Percy's irises are like, Walter.  The
iris G. Percy Brown was about as good as they got.  Brown did yeoman's
breeding work, and provided a gene pool for others but I don't think he ever
did produce a really "pretty" iris.  Is it blasphemous to say this?  Probably
caddish and insensititve at least, but it is the truth.  Clarence Mahan in Va