RE: OT - Freeze

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: OT - Freeze
  • From: John Montgomery/Monashee Perennials <monashee@bcgrizzly.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:53:05 -0600 (MDT)

>On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Barbara Mann wrote:
>
>> Walter, I don't think there is such a thing as a "normal" iris year.  But
some
>> really pessimistic climatologists have been saying lately that what we've
been
>> getting now IS normal, and the past few decades have been unreasonably
nice.
>> Hmm.  And I thought the weather was better in my childhood only because my
>> memory is getting more selective.

I recall attending a lecture by a famous meteorologist sometime during the
sixties. He contended that the world climate to that point in this century
was abnormal in that it was so easily predictable, whereas "normal" climate
over the centuries was much more erratic. He predicted at that time that
weather would become more normal, ie more unpredictable. Perhaps he was
close to the mark.

John Montgomery
monashee@bcgrizzly.com
Vernon  BC                                      Where spring is two to three
weeks later than normal but without any high low swings to it so far. Dry
also with only 1.7 mm of rain this month.