  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Historic AUTUMN ORANGELITE
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:04:11 -0600 (MDT)

>  	If anybody grows either AUTUMN ORANGELITE or ZANTHA, please give
>  me your input. >>
> I used to grow Zantha, one of the brightest yellows ever.  It is clean,
> glowing, and tailored.  I've seen Autumn Orangelite, but can't remember what
> it looks like; but you know what Doc Percy's irises are like, Walter.  The
> iris G. Percy Brown was about as good as they got.  Brown did yeoman's
> breeding work, and provided a gene pool for others but I don't think he ever
> did produce a really "pretty" iris.  Is it blasphemous to say this?  Probably
> caddish and insensititve at least, but it is the truth.  Clarence Mahan in Va
	Libby Cross described ZANTHA as well as you did, Clarence.  I am
convinced now that Z is what I have.  I didn't expect much in an orangey
color from Doc Brown. Bet this bright yellow must have knocked 'em dead
when it was introduced years ago.

	Clarence, I think it was Raymond Smith who introduced the iris G.
PERCY BROWN, and as I recall, it was a pale yellow with fairly good form.
Probably, FALL PRIMROSE was Doc Brown's best.  It was really a workhorse
when it came to reblooming and was 'clean' to have come from his breeding.
I think the saddest one I grew from Brown  was SUMMER GREEN SHADOWS,
really muddied up.  I also remember one from somebody else that was as
bad....a SDB named DIRTY FACE.

	Thanks for the help.  I intend to keep ZANTHA!

		Walter Moores
		Enid Lake, MS 7/8