Re: SIB/SINO-SIB?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB/SINO-SIB?
  • From: John Montgomery/Monashee Perennials <monashee@bcgrizzly.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:39:07 -0600 (MDT)

At 10:15 AM 97/04/14 -0600, Dana Squires  wrote:
>What is the difference in "regular" siberians and sino-siberians. I know
>they have 40 chr and are a cross between cal-sibs and pac coast natives,
>but what does that mean in besides that the bloom later to the lay iris
>grower.

The "regular" Siberians have 28 chromosomes and are derived from I. siberica
& I sanguinea while the Sino-sibs have 40 chromosomes and are the result of
crosses of Ii. clarkei, delavayi, wilsonii, forrestii, chrysographes & the
probable hybrids bulleyana, dykesii & phragmitetorum.

The Sino-sibs are not crosses with PCNs but they will cross with them to
produce sterile but often very nice progeny.

In general, the Sino-sibs are smaller plants in both their foliage and
flowers and with more color patterns. I like the small graceful flowers very
much. They are probably less hardy than the 28s below zone 5 but in zone 5 &
above they are easy to grow and take care of. If planted close by one of the
rampant 28's they can be in danger of being overrun.

I think they are a much overlooked treasure.

John Montgomery
monashee@bcgrizzly.com
Vernon,  BC