HYB: Help! What is this amoena?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HYB: Help! What is this amoena?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:34:04 -0600 (MDT)

Iris friends -- Let me apologize for duplicating an earlier message sent
transmission problems which apparently are traceable to something in my
server's (Erols) setup.

I need help in identifying a tan amoena which was given to me some years
ago as SAND AND SEA. It is not SAND AND SEA, which has tan stands and
blue falls. THIS flower has pure white stands and tan falls, darkening
toward the yellow beard. It has good substance and appears to be a
recessive amoena. When pollinated by WABASH, it gave me a seedling that
produced (1) two completely different irises on the same stalk -- one a
royal purple amoena with a white edge on the falls (reminiscent of
WABASH), the other having cream stands and red-violet falls with a
bronze edge, (2) on the second stalk, a sectioned (sectored?) chimera --
one stand white, one cream, and one half-and-half, and one fall purple,
one red-violet, and one half-and-half. At this point, I think, you
understand why I want to identify that tan amoena.

I hope that some of you may know the answer.

Griff Crump, near Mount Vernon, VA, where his TBs are up weeks early,
some showing color.  jgcrump@erols.com