Re: Help! What is this amoena?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Help! What is this amoena?
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:21:52 -0600 (MDT)

    I can't help you with the identity of your amoena, but your seedling
sounds like a classic case of somatic mutation ("sporting"). At the Logan
Iris Society meeting on Saturday, Brad Kasperek was discussing how he
obtained GNU AGAIN as a sport from GNU, and Jared Harris mentioned how
BEVERLY SILLS sported for him to produce BEVERLY IN WHITE, and in both
cases their descriptions were just like yours. The mother rhizome mutates
right down the midline and all increase on one side are of the original
appearance and all on the other side are the mutant form. The chimeric
bloom on the mother rhizome is unique and is lost after the mother rhizome
has bloomed.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)