Re: BULB - Reticulatas

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: BULB - Reticulatas
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:22:14 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Suzette!
         You write (14 Apr 97):

>      I've noticed my reticulata "leaves" are now very long.  Should I do
>      anything about them or let them go.  My dad thinks their onions but
>      keep telling him they're irises.

It is part of the normal growth pattern for the leaves of reticulata and
other related dwarf bulbous iris to continue to elongate after they bloom
(isn't it nice for them to wait until after bloom to do this, or the
flowers would be buried in the leaves). Just leave them alone, as they are
building up the bulbs for next year's bloom. The foliage will die back and
disappear in a couple of months and the bulbs will go dormant until early
next Spring.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - where our two week cold spell ended yesterday, and I
can see the fans on ALPINE LAKE swelling with the flower buds inside.