Re: Fragrance of Iris - ENGLISH COTTAGE

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fragrance of Iris - ENGLISH COTTAGE
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 06:43:50 -0600 (MDT)

<< I loved the smell of ENGLISH COTTAGE this year and thought it smelled like
 grape jelly, but my wife found the stalk I had cut and brought into the
 kitchen a bit overpowering.  She said that it smelled like southern
 magnolias with sugar on them!  You can't get much sweeter on the smell
 scale than that.:) >>

Donald's report on the fragrance of ENGLISH COTTAGE is quite "on target".
 Some years ago at an "open house" conducted by River Farm, the headquarters
of the American Horticultural Society near Mount Vernon, I took several
stalks of rebloomers for the table set up by our C&P Iris Society.  (It was
in October).  People would come from across the garden to find out what that
glorious aroma was---it was, of course, ENGLISH COTTAGE. The scent of ENGLISH
COTTAGE was to no small degree a major factor in our signing up about 20 new
members for AIS.  Clarence Mahan in VA