Fragrance of Iris - Recruiting Sniffers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Fragrance of Iris - Recruiting Sniffers
  • From: meyers@telcomplus.com (Charlie/Tanya)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:55:31 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings Fellow Iris Fans!

I am a newcomer to the list - a newcomer with a purpose!  I am recruiting
iris sniffers.  The American Iris Society wants YOU.  Or, more
specifically, those of us in the Society who are unduly interested in the
odor of iris.  Libby Cross maintains an extensive Iris Fragrance Checklist
that was compiled in 1992 from a 20 years' collection of letters between
iris fragrance lovers.  She would like very much to begin updating this
list and we can use all the help we can get - thus this solicitation.

If you would like to sniff for us, we use the following sniffers' scale of

1 = slightly bad
2 = medium bad
3 = very bad
33 = even worse
333 = revolting

SPICY scents
4 = slightly spicy
5 = medium spicy
6 = very spicy
66 = spicier yet
666 = extremely spicy

SWEET scents
7 = sweet
8 = sweeter
9 = very sweet
99 = even sweeter
999 = yummy!

0 = no scent at all
* = an indefinite scent

Please feel free to indicate if the iris smells like something particular
to you (for instance, vanilla or baby powder).

Those of us interested in hybridizing with fragrance in mind would also
appreciate knowing that a certain iris will/might be a good fragrance

It is interesting to note that everyone perceives fragrance differently,
and that the scent of an iris can vary depending on the weather, the time
of day, and its location.

Thanks in advance to all who accept the challenge.  I note that the
blooming season has begun in certain more temperate climates.  Here, in
northern maritime Washington State, I have yet to see a bloom stalk break
the surface but am expecting one any day with our current warm (nearly 60
degree) temperatures.

Please make inquiries or report your sniffings to my personal e-mail as I
rarely have time to scan the list.  Thank you.