Re: Fragrance of Iris - Recruiting Sniffers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fragrance of Iris - Recruiting Sniffers
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@southconn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 03:32:15 -0600 (MDT)

At 09:55 PM 4/14/97 -0600, Tanya wrote:
>Greetings Fellow Iris Fans!
>I am a newcomer to the list - a newcomer with a purpose!  I am recruiting
>iris sniffers.
>...It is interesting to note that everyone perceives fragrance differently,
>and that the scent of an iris can vary depending on the weather, the time
>of day, and its location.

Tanya, you couldn't be more correct about perception when it comes to iris
fragrance.  In fact I've been testing out this theory on my daughter and

The results:

My 4 year old daughter thinks several irises, including CRIMSON KING  smell
like balloons to her!  After she said this, I too got a hint of balloon
rubber (latex) smell when I sniffed CK.

I loved the smell of ENGLISH COTTAGE this year and thought it smelled like
grape jelly, but my wife found the stalk I had cut and brought into the
kitchen a bit overpowering.  She said that it smelled like southern
magnolias with sugar on them!  You can't get much sweeter on the smell
scale than that.:)

Many of the Louisianas I have smelled have either a grapefruit or black
pepper smell to me (note: grapefruit and black pepper smell very much alike
to me anyway).

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8