Re: CULT:Mystery

Jan & Gordon wrote:
> Hi All;
> Maybe someone out there can help.  The other day we found a bloom among
> our Batik that we don't recognize. It is a white (or off white) self,
> with violet beards tipped mustard, more heavily toward the throat.  It
> has a violet crest like Batik  and the standards and falls have a line
> of violet at the very edge with a narrow, lacy band of violet around the
> petals which also have violet freckles scattered around.
> We checked on the parentage of Batik which are Aegean Star and Purple
> Streaker-(which we have).  The description of Aegean Star sounds exactly
> like our mystery bloom.
> Has anyone heard of a cultivar regressing to one of it's parents?  Or is
> there some other explaination of this?
> We would appreciate any information or comments on this.

Gordon & Jan,

You are not alone.  Batik is doing the same thing for us right now.  We
have grown it for some years now and find it to be somewhat unstable.
It can revert to a plicata on some of it's flowers, usually here and
there.  Tear them off, you will feel better about it.  Sometimes you can
get a plant of it to be almost dark purple with just a few flecks of
white.  I get rid of these because all the flowers are like this and I'm
not sure what the increases will produce.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California.......81F today and sunny!
Zone 8