Re: CULT: germination traits and selection

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: germination traits and selection
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:57:54 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Re: bloom time of rebloomers: Because early bloomers rarely make it
here, I have been hunting for rebloomers that are listed as M
(midseason) or L (late) - there aren't many listed.  I would say less
than 5% - the rest are early bloomers.  This is especially true of a lot
of the older introductions.  HARVEST OF MEMORIES, which does
spectacularly here, is a fairly late-midseason bloomer for me & also is
a somewhat early fall bloomer.  The "cold-climate" rebloomers seem to be
mostly early spring/late fall bloomers & blooms are usually freeze
damaged here if they try at all.

Once AIS gets the database set up, maybe it will be possible to do
search and stats on bloom season, color, and rebloom, by decade...or
even by ancestry....

Re: black seed germination: Some lines of blacks seem to be hardy later
bloomers & others are freeze damage prone early bloomers here: TUXEDO,
CHERRY SMOKE are super-reliable  late bloomers; HELLO DARKNESS, the only
early-ish blooming black I try to grow usually doesn't make it (on-going
experiment with water filled cola bottles worked last year).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
Onelist: A free email community service