Re: CULT: Spraying

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Chris Hollinshead wrote:

> From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
>

> Yes this is definitely the tool to use. I have one of these sprayer units and
> have used it for the last 5 or 6 years. It does work really well and with very
> little overspray. A couple of drops of dishwashing soap in the spray mix as a
> wetting agent also helps in the effective application of product.
>
> I will probably spray the initial treatment for iris borer during this
> coming long weekend as the iris are just starting to grow from their winter
> dormancy and we have had a couple of warm days which will start to hatch any
> overwintered borer eggs.
>
> Christopher Hollinshead

I don't know why I didn't think about getting a wand extension for my sprayer
last year, don't know what I was thinking!    It was really great using it with
the extension yesterday.  And the way over spray was controlled was a great
discovery for me!  :)  I will never be happy now to use a sprayer without an
extension on it!

Yes Chris, it is time to go after the borers.  I will wait until mid week next
week because we are being forecast for rain for the next 5 days starting today.
It would be a waste to spray today.

There is a man here in Springfield who has been growing iris probably longer
than I have been alive who has made his own sprayer.  I've been talking to him
about this sprayer, it is pretty neat the way he has set it up.  He has it set
up on a trailer he pulls behind his riding mower with a 12 volt electric pump
running off his mower battery.  He has a couple of in line valves on it so that
if the pressure gets too high it will allow the liquid to be returned to his
tank.  He has a hose on his sprayer that is about 50 feet long so he can reach
way into his garden without having to carry anything except the hose, no weight
of a water filled tank to carry around the garden.  I'm thinking about following
his lead on this and building me one of these too.  :)

Glenn

--
Glenn & Linda Simmons
mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services