Re: PCN: how big?

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>My PCN seedlings are about 4-6 inches tall.  How big can I expect them
>become?  They are from the bee pods from Vicki Jo Craig, so the best I
>tell you is they're mixed hybrids.  I've got 6 survivors out of the 30+
>seeds I planted.  About 12 germinated, but some withered away rather
>quickly.  The 6 remaining seem quite vigorous.
>Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

Some of my 18 month old plants are nearly 18" tall. They are thickening
up well and I'm desperately hoping for flowers (and seeds) this year.
The ones from Vicki are doing well, some 8 to 10 inches tall, and my
germination rate was way higher, cos I coddle them babies on my window
sill, and talk to them daily! You're just going to have to stop planting
things outside and leaving them to the elements.
My JI type ensibes from Christie the iris seed pusher, are 1 to 4" tall
and I've just potted them on (into a mix of peat moss and Azalea potting
mix). Sounds unremarkable huh? but they germinated only 7 days
from planting, after being soaked for 5 days, and planted on the surface
of the seed raising mix. No chilling of any sort. Same window sill. (I
have this theory that piano music is somehow activating the germination
procedure - no, not seriously :-))
With all the talk of Candy Lilies, I'm about to soak 1/2 of mine, and
will plant them in a few days (or should I stratify them?). I'll leave
the other 1/2 until Spring.
My first lot of IB seeds have been in the fridge for 12 weeks, and are
due to be planted this weekend. I'm counting down to G day!
Who says Autumn isn't exciting, and to add to the fun, one of my Silver
Grey Dorking hens hatched 3 lovely little 'Easter' chicks yesterday!
Cheers, and Happy Easter to all, Jan Clark

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services