From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.Lakeheadu.Ca>

I have seen many I. Versicolor locally for many years. The
last few years I have tried to look for variation in colors
or form. The only variation I could find in color was the
lighter washed out colors of the flowers which had been
bleached out by longer exposure to the sun.

And yet I had two or three beautiful white flowers from a
SIGNA seed exchange Versicolor for the first time last
summer. And there was a white with quite a bit of yellow
Versi which I intended to compost until I read in this list
that the yellow could perhaps eventually be expanded
toward a yellow Versi. I also have a reddish Versi that
was dying back last summer.

My question is--- Where do these different colors of
Versicolor come from? Are there areas where only white
Versicolors grow, and other areas of the country where only
red Versicolors grow? Or are there small patches of white or
red Versi somewhere within larger patches of blue
Versicolors. Or did these white and red Versicolors
originate from crossing outwardly similar blue Versicolors
from widely separate locations?

Dan Mason   zone 3, NW Ontario

Did you know that we have over 85,000 e-mail communities at Onelist?
Come visit our new web site and explore a new interest