Re: CULT: Czech

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

I have just hosted Charles Stirton who is building the new National
Botanic Garden of Wales - 600 acres with a single span greenhouse that
can be seen from space!  In discussion, he mentioned that he visited the
botanic garden just outside Budapest where there is a major collection
of irises, especially irises collected from throughout the old Soviet
Union, right across to the far end of Siberia.  He said that the
director has undertaken a great deal of hyridization and the collection
is absolutely wonderful.  I had not heard of this collection and wonder
if it has been written up any where.  If not, there should be
information made available through the AIS Bulletin on this collection.

Ian, in Ottawa where, after giving 75 public lectures on why we must
have a botanic garden over the last three months my world was brightened
by Iris reticulata blooming in a large clump  on the 31st March, two
days after the snow cleared!!

Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories