SPEC: reticulatas, others

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: SPEC: reticulatas, others
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:21:16 -0400

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Ian, in Ottawa where, after giving 75 public lectures on why we must
>have a botanic garden over the last three months my world was brightened
>by Iris reticulata blooming in a large clump  on the 31st March, two
>days after the snow cleared!!

Iris danfordiae opened here on January 12th, and the last reticulata hybrid
('George') faded out on March 28th!  The remarkable variety 'Springtime',
from eight bulbs planted two years ago, produced over 30 flowers.

The stellar performance of the reticulatas this spring was undoubtedly due
to the hot dry summer we had.  It gave them a good baking, which is what
they seem to like in a summer.

Iris bucharica, the easy juno, is in full bloom now in the rock garden,
springing from a mat of sedum and Viola labradorica.  The violet flowers
and purple-tinged foliage of the latter make a wonderful contrast with the
buttery yellow of the bucharicas.

Mirable dictu, we have buds showing color on Iris graminea--even before the
SDBs and pumilas!  And I perceive a few stalks in sheath on the old
abandoned arilbreds against a southfacing brick wall here at school.  I
hope one of these is my old friend, Ib-mac.  Might be fun to put its potent
pollen on some of the new TB introductions I bought last year.

What a wonderful difference a day of warm spring rain and a balmy, foggy
night have made.  Trees with a faint haze of green, red maples in full
bloom.  Roadsides bright with forsythia and quince.  Daffodils everywhere,
and even the occasional tulip.  Ah yes, winter's over!  Get out there and
pick that rhubarb!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
http://www.onelist.com
Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories