SPEC: bulbous irises (dose of reality ;)

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	To Bill Shear and Ian Efford who wrote about their BLOOMING
	bulbous irises:

	Ok, you guys have pushed me over the edge especially Ian who
	purported to be in Ottawa all this time but really lives in
	Toronto in Zone 5 or something....cold-climate turncoat. :)

	I was actually out in the garden (if you can call frozen mud
	a garden) and inspected my bulbous irises namely I. danfordiae
	(planted at Ian's urging, BTW and also named I. reticulatae from
	McClure & Z., at Bill Shear's suggestion). Not one mm. of green
	showing anywhere except on one Siberian, some SDBs, IBs and
	MDBs and I mean one mm. You need a magnifying glass to see it
	which I had, BTW. Stop laughing, Bill.

	I also planted English irises from McClure & Z. at the suggestion
	of Bill S. as well. I know they bloom late so I will be patient.

>Iris danfordiae opened here on January 12th, and the last reticulata hybrid
>('George') faded out on March 28th!  The remarkable variety 'Springtime',
>from eight bulbs planted two years ago, produced over 30 flowers.
>The stellar performance of the reticulatas this spring was undoubtedly due
>to the hot dry summer we had.  It gave them a good baking, which is what
>they seem to like in a summer.

	What planet was Bill on last summer? :) We had a monsoon here for
	months it seemed.

>Mirable dictu, we have buds showing color on Iris graminea--even before the
>SDBs and pumilas!

	It is a miracle...my I. graminea is dead...we had some freeze,
	thaw and it decided to hike itself out of the ground where it
	was planted deeply, lay on its side and become a rotted puff
	ball that tried to pass itself off as a rhizome but I knew
	better and it is now TRASH. Hee, hee.

>What a wonderful difference a day of warm spring rain and a balmy, foggy
>night have made.  Trees with a faint haze of green, red maples in full
>bloom.  Roadsides bright with forsythia and quince.  Daffodils everywhere,
>and even the occasional tulip.  Ah yes, winter's over!  Get out there and
>pick that rhubarb!

	I can't even be gracious about it...I am too filled with envy.
	Where in heck did I plant those daffs anyway? I think we had
	rhubarb...also tulips.

	A grumpy Ellen from the North and I don't mean Northern VA.

Ellen Gallagher  /  e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA    /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives: