Re: SPEC: bulbous irises (dose of reality ;)

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

What can I say, Ellen?  Time to head south, darlin'.......

Seriously, I can sympathize because I spent the first 20 years of my life
in that lovely climate, with its late June frosts and mid-September freezes
and snow on the ground from October to May.

But--you can grow some things in your milder summers that we in the south
cannot.  I really love salpiglossis, for example, and here I have to start
them in the greenhouse in January and then MAYBE, just maybe, there will be
a bloom stalk or two in early May before they burn out in the heat.

So be consoled--wherever you are, there are advantages!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services