From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

So glad for the explanation about 2-4-D and all the names under which it is
marketed.  Sounds great!!!Works well!!! Means that I do not have to pull or
If only half the population of an area is using it--even in small
amounts--the effect upon the ground water can be disasterous!!!!!!!
I live on the edge of town--which is located in a valley--about 6 miles by
12 miles--we have what is called a "sole-source-water-supply" for the
town--that means that there is one source for our water--from
underground--from wells-- there are two levels of water available for wells
to tap into--one about 150 feet and the other about 300 feet--if you were
paying to have a well dug at about $30.00 a foot--wouldn't you choose to go
only as deep as the 150 foot layer?
 That is great, but do not plan upon growing flowers, veges or any
broad-leaf bushes or trees--Why?  because the upper water level is so
contaminated with 2-4D that, when used to water the garden, results in
stunted, deformed plants!!! All bbbroadleaf plants.
One of our Iris Society members, who had raised Iris for at least 20 years,
moved to a new house--we all helped him move his plants and put them into
prepared beds--a month later--everything was sick!!!!!!! (Lawn looked
Water samples taken to Dept. of Health for testing, showed 2-4D (and its
relatives) to be at levels so high it could not be accurately
measured--safe levels are something like 2 parts per billion--
So now, after having filters put into the well (this is a rented place)
which cost a goodly amount, he can finally raise a few Iris--using water he
purchases, or which friends take to him---can you imagine watering your
Iris from a gallon jug--and Dahlias for him are a plant of the past--
Seems that the water layer on that side of town in terribly
contaminated--good thing that there is where the cemeteries are, and light
industry-and not too many people trying to grow flowers-(and that I am on
the other side of town, and use water company water from the deep wells)
The deep well water here is so pure that no treatment with Chlorine is
necessary--and it even tastes great--
So please, realize that maybe what you are putting on your plants and
ground  can effect other places--downstream--
I have not read about studies being done which measure the amount of
residual build-up of 2-4D after many years of use-- and if anyone knows of
this kind of Study, I would like the reference to it--but--if you are going
to use it--please use it sparingly--- I use it myself--my job with the club
garden is to control the dandelions in our lawn area, so I spray a couple
times a year, and even use it sometimes in the iris beds--very
carefully-and not too much--
Trefllan--also use sparingly--it was used on our club garden several years
ago--and my, what interesting 'oddities' we had--the person in charge
then--who thought he had found a great way to control weeds--did not read
the directions enough--
I checked out Sutton's new little ones--they are great--especially the
IB--what an interesting color pattern--have you thought up a name for that
pattern yet?  Isn't the 'computer-age' wonderful--where we can see the new
little ones--without having to travel to Calif.?  I will gladly volunteer
to try any or all of them for winter hardiness.
Carryl in western montana--where Spring is just a memory--snow all around
us and all we get is cold wind--

If you like orange and blue, then you will love our new web site!
Onelist: Fostering connections and information exchange