Re: CULT: Czech

From: "Juri Pirogov" <jukp@aha.ru>

where is that garden: near Budapest, Hungary or probably in Pruhonice,
Czech Republic, too not very long from Budapest?
If it is second it is great well known collection of Dr. Milan Blazek,
which list is now in my hand.
It is about 120 samples of species, european bearded principal;
about 800 TB cultivar: 60 before 1927, 105 from 1927-1940, 150 from 1941
Many medians, dwarfs and siberians.

Moscow, Russia
> От: Ian E. & Shirley Efford <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>
> Кому: iris-talk@onelist.com
> Тема: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Czech
> Дата: 2 апреля 1999 г. 18:33
> From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>
> I have just hosted Charles Stirton who is building the new National
> Botanic Garden of Wales - 600 acres with a single span greenhouse that
> can be seen from space!  In discussion, he mentioned that he visited the
> botanic garden just outside Budapest where there is a major collection
> of irises, especially irises collected from throughout the old Soviet
> Union, right across to the far end of Siberia.  He said that the
> director has undertaken a great deal of hyridization and the collection
> is absolutely wonderful.  I had not heard of this collection and wonder
> if it has been written up any where.  If not, there should be
> information made available through the AIS Bulletin on this collection.
> Ian, in Ottawa where, after giving 75 public lectures on why we must
> have a botanic garden over the last three months my world was brightened
> by Iris reticulata blooming in a large clump  on the 31st March, two
> days after the snow cleared!!
> Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
> http://www.onelist.com
> Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories

We have a new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services