Re: CULT: germination traits and selection

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: germination traits and selection
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:48:25 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

I said:
> > Re: bloom time of rebloomers: Because early bloomers rarely make it
> > here, I have been hunting for rebloomers that are listed as M
> > (midseason) or L (late) - there aren't many listed.  I would say less than
> > 5% - the rest are early bloomers.  This is especially true of a lot of the
> > older introductions.

Then I got a couple of offlist posts from folks about finding M & ML
rebloomers.  Thanks to all who sent suggestions - but I don't want to
play anymore :< .  I meant to say, I keep looking, but not buying.  Too
discouraging & much more fun to try to create my own 'children' from the
two rebloomers that really thrive here (IMMORTALITY & HARVEST OF
MEMORIES).  LADY EMMA may join that short list - she seems to be
thriving under a thick mat of self sown violas in full, gorgeous bloom.

Anyway, although they were subtle about it <grin>, I think the kind
offlisters might suggest that there are a lot more M rebloomers than my
earlier post indicated.  Many M bloomers don't make it here either &
some MLs are stunted by hot dry weather during bloom.  Grouse grouse -
anyway, I am still interested in hunting up pedigrees of ML rebloomers
sometime to see if there is anything predictable about bloom season
heredity, unless somebody has already done that?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
There is a stalk on BLACK MAGIC!  It usually gets frozen out by late
freezes here, so this is a good sign, unless of course it drops down to
22oF next week.

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services