Re: CULT: weather damage

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: weather damage
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 15:37:11 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Bill Stone in ?iris heaven? California wrote:
> How cold before new iris growth gets effected? This Northern
> California garden just spent Saturday with on and off snow showers
>  no build up on ground ) only to have skies clear off and wake up to
> 22-23 degree weather.

Uh oh... looks like you are running the <Rot Queen>s experiments this
year.  Below 25 is trouble and right around 22 is where it knocks out
the potential bloom in sensitive (mostly early) cultivars even before
stalks (crooks?) start showing.  BUT it depends on how cold it's been at
night during preceeding weeks (that plant memory thing Dave Holm was
talking about?), how long the plants STAY that cold, & which batch of
genes we're talking about.  Plus other stuff like how lush they were &
how close to bloom season.

Take notes & let us (me) know which of the recent intros & rebloomers
aren't hurt if you lose a lot.  Any way you can look at this as an
opportunity to improve your breeding program?   Keep your fingers
crossed but be prepared for rot on the most stressed ones.  My

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA