Re: HYB: daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

there is a poor correlation between survivability of plants from seeds germinated under poor conditions versus those produced under favorable conditions. <<<

If you're talking about the strength of only one generation, I agree with this.

I do however think that stressful growing conditions can coerce plants to indicate which might be used to breed toward a desired type.

We've already done this with a snap bean. By moving up the planting time each year and selecting for those that show the most tolerance of cool temperatures (i.e. "live"), we've come up with a dependable bean for our area. Germination is good even in cold soil and we've noticed (after having a number of people remark on it) that up to 20% are showing a tolerance to a bit of frost.

It's only a hunch at this point, but early indications are that the first few generations (if fertile) of a new species originating from a wide cross may be more adaptable to extremes than either parent. We're working with irises here, but dormancy is one trait that seems to be affected with a small percentage of plants in the 2nd generation showing little to none while both parents have at least some dormancy.  Subsequent generations should also be fertile and could be bred toward a true evergreen type.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b snow, wind, rain, & sunshine all in one day.
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."- Anon.

Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories