Re: HYB: daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Thanks for your reply and I liked the lesson.

My question on growing from seeds has to do with some of my own
experiences and from some posts to this list concerning PCNs.  It
seemed that no luck had been obtained from tranplants, but that
some success occurred from those grown from seeds.  I've had
this occur with other plants.  So I guess I'm wondering if certain
genetics may be present which adapt to the growing environment
and they develop environmental memory from the beginning which
enhances that heritable trait.  Obviously, not every seed would
have the correct genetic makeup, but it seems those that do might
develop the environmental memory early.  Ergo success where
transplants fail.  Am I way off the mark?  Also, I was wondering if
the seeds themselve might contain environmental memory.  Thus
seeds sown which came from a totally different environment might
not do as well as those sown from locally successful plants.  Just
wondering here.  It would be a useful trait if true.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7

Have you visited our new web site?
Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities