Re: HYB: daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation

From: "David G. Holm" <sherlock@amigo.net>

On 4 Apr 99, at 17:38, J.F. Hensler wrote:

Christy:

For annuals that are seed propagated, you are absolutely right.  It sounds
like you are making good progress in your bean improvement program.

My remark - ... "there is a poor correlation between survivability of plants
from seeds germinated under poor conditions versus those produced under
favorable conditions.  Otherwise, germinate seed under the best possible
conditions and have more to plants to select from later"  was solely
directed to vegetatively propagated plants.  Sorry for the confusion and
thanks for helping me clarify my statements.

There are other variables that come into play when germinating seed for a
vegetatively propagated plant that have no bearing on subsequent plant
performance and quality.  It would be a mistake to attempt to screen for
such characteristics by imposing stresses on the germinating seeds.

> It's only a hunch at this point,

Good luck in your efforts on developing evergreen irises!  By the way do
you have any of your new beans I could try in our area.  We have a about
90 day frost free period. It has been known to freeze every month.

Dave Holm
Dave Holm
Professor of Horticulture (Potato Breeding)
Colorado State University
sherlock@amigo.net