HYB:Born to be strong.

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 4/4/1999 8:23:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< Obviously, not every seed would
 have the correct genetic makeup, but it seems those that do might
 develop the environmental memory early.  Ergo success where
 transplants fail.  Am I way off the mark? >>

Storylade:
	You may feel this has no significance.  If so, feel free to rap me on
the wrist!  Before I got interested in breeding irises, I bred guppies
(fishes) for a while.  Just a hobby.  In the late seventies, there were
gorgeous guppies--1/2 blacks, 3/4 blacks, cobras of all colors, beautiful
delta tails, etc.  The fish had been bred for bigger and bigger tails until
they couldn't swim for the weight they were dragging thru the water.
Eventually, a disease went thru the holding tanks in CA, and most of the
lovely creatures seem lost to the world.  At least my part of the world.  I
can no longer find the beautiful fishes I once bought.

I quickly learned that I could not keep these guppies alive in my tanks.
They were delicate and suffered shock going from tank to tank to tank.  It
was rare for one to survive more than two months.  Guppies are live bearers,
and I learned to purchase pregnant females.  The lungs of the tiny baby
fishes, born into my tanks, automatically adapted to the mineral content and
pH.  They lived, grew, and flourished.

I've thought that I see the same trait in irises.  Those 'born' here are more
likely to be acclimated to the soil in my garden.  Is it all environment?
I've no scientific background to draw upon; however, difficult irises can be
grown in my garden when I amend the soil to match the soil where it
originated.

Fishe's lungs adapt to the water they are born into.  Can the same be said
for plant cells and soil?

Betty

Have you visited our new web site?
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities