Re: HYB: daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation

From: monashee@junction.net

> My question on growing from seeds has to do with some of my own
> experiences and from some posts to this list concerning PCNs.  It
> seemed that no luck had been obtained from tranplants, but that
> some success occurred from those grown from seeds.  I've had

It was me who psoted the message in question, I think. In a
nutshell it went something like this. I had spent quite a few bucks
over several years in trying to buy PCN's and grow them here in the
North Okanagan Valley (zone 5 winters with hot,dry summers).
They all died. Then I tried seed from the SIGNA exchange and
suddenly I had survivors. Their first bloom followed a winter with
several days of temperatures below -30C but with about 12" of
snow cover. They are now going into their 10th season here and
transplant readily in the local area. An interesting test will be how
well they travel to other climes.

Some selections will be sold this year by Ambrosia Gardens I think.

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5

Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
Onelist: A free email community service