Re: HYB: genetic drift (was daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: genetic drift (was daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 09:05:00 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

David Holm wrote:
> However
> the genetic component, or long term memory,  of a vegetative increase
> could change if a mutation were to occur.

We had some brief discussion of the potential for "genetic drift" in
vegetatively propagated plant material onlist sometime in the past &
some documented changes in roses? were mentioned as well as chimeras or
sports in irises.  (I brought up genetic drift because of the rapid
changes I'd heard of in test tube propagation of plant material using
single or few cells).

There is a perception that source of plant material affects the rate of
acclimatization & the more similar the climate the better plants will do
the first year or so.  Thinking that the older the cultivar, the more
likely something like this would be, I bought ROSY WINGS from several
sources throughout the country last year California, Nebraska, and
Texas. They have grown in relation to when the arrived here rather than
where they came from: California has done the best.

So, what's your best guess as to how long would 'memory' effects would
last re: drought, cold, sudden freeze tolerance, and growth response to
change in fertility?  We know that bud initiation lasts from the year
before, sometimes to the detriment of the new arrival, but what about
this other stuff?

Also, potatos certainly have been vegetatively propagated for decades -
any evidence of genetic drift?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories