Re: OT:MOLES

From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

The thought of killing all the earthworms just to get rid of the moles is
not a good one--there are several ways to get rid of Moles--get traps and
put them in the holes, use poison grain--the same as for mice--the poison
usually is a strong anti-coagulant--blood thinner--and they bled to
death--this is safe to use where there are dogs and cats--if they eat the
dead moles they are not affected by the anticoagulant--there is a poison
grain which is not safe to use around pets--or children--if you have
neither --use it as it works--
When I was growing up we had Gophers, Moles, Voles--all of which ate
everything they could find--We would dig a big hole and line it with small
hole-sized chicken wire--then plant inside the wire, cover with wire so
that the area is completely enclosed--and then cover with dirt--it
works--till the deer come and eat the tops growing through the wire--
or--there a are bombs which are put onto a hole, water poured on, and then
dirt to plug the hole--the gas produced suffocates the Moles--and if dogs
get them it does not kill the dogs--
Anything is better than killing the earthworms--that twould take a long
time for the ground to be free of whatever you use to kill the worms, and I
don't think you could grow anything there until the worms were back again--
hope someone else has other ideas for you--
Carryl in western Montana, where Easter Day was Sunny, cold, windy, snowy,
and whatever else you can think of--weather-wise

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services